If you are coming to Hawaii in order to hike the trail, a good rule of thumb is….
Get your Kalalau Permits before you get your flight!
I’ve talked to too many people who plan their vacation and get their flight and then try to get permits but they cant because they are sold out. Permits first, 90 days prior, then get your flights.
There are many wonderful airlines. I’m a Hawaiian Airlines fan myself. It feels more like a vacation. Check rates at the link below:
There are many ways to get to Kauai. For most people, the airplane is the only realistic option (unless you are a real good swimmer). Airfare to Hawaii is notorious for being expensive all year round. Here are some tips to help you find cheaper fares.
• Time of Year – Flying during off-peak times can save you money. You are more likely to find deals between October & February.
• Avoid Holidays – Everybody wants to fly during the holidays so the prices are pretty steep and it’s very hard to find a deal.
• Fly Mid-week – The busiest days are Monday & Friday. You’ll be more likely to find a deal on a Tues, Wed or Thursday flight.
• Flight Times – Be flexible with your flight times. Flying in the middle of the day or night might save some money.
• Use your Frequent Flyer Miles – Some airlines offer free flights (or close to it) when you sign up for their credit card.