I often get emails from people around the world telling me that they planned a trip to Hawaii to hike the Kalalau Trail and they just found out that there are no permits available. They usually ask questions like:
- Can I be put on a waiting list?
- Will more permits be issued at a later time?
- Are permits necessary?
- Can I buy somebody else’s permit?
- What can be done? I already bought my plane ticket!
- Can I hike the trail without a permit if I don’t camp?
- Can I get a permit to camp at Hanakoa instead of Kalalau?